What is Microdermabrasion and how is it done?
The dermabrasion treatment was developed to improve the acne scars, age spots, pox marks and scars caused by accident or disease. Acne is the most common skin condition to leave behind scars there are different microdermabrasion treatments for acne that act effectively. Microdermabrasion happens to be one of the best skin care treatment around working on all skin types and colors. It is basically a skin rejuvenation and exfoliation process that leaves the skin softer and brighter. Tiny exfoliating crystals are sprayed on the skin in the process of microdermabrasion. These gently remove the outer layers of your skin. The microdermabrasion system includes a hand piece, connecting tube, a pump and vacuum. The pump creates a high-pressure stream of crystals kike sodium chloride, aluminum oxide, magnesium oxide and sodium bicarbonate to exfoliate the skin and vacuum removes the exfoliated skin cells and crystals. The vacuum pulls and lifts a small skin section for abrasion. It stimulates blood circulation with mild swelling and collects the dead skin and used crystals in a receptacle for easy disposal.
Effects of Microdermabrasion:
Microdermabrasion is used to treat light scarring, sun damage, light scarring as well as stretch marks. It removes the dull and dead layers of the ski while boosting the collagen production. Collagen keeps the skin smooth and taut and its production slows down as we age. Those who are thinking of how to get rid of acne, microdermabrasion could work for them.
Is Microdermabrasion right for you?
If you have skin issues and want to get rid of acne scars, age spots, large pores or fine wrinkles, you can consider microdermabrasion. It also makes the skin texture smooth and supple revitalizing the dead skin and allowing the skin to become supple with increased collagen production.
If you have deep scarring, it might not work for you as it only removes the top skin layer. It is a gentle and painless procedure but some patients feel stinging initially and itchiness as well depending on the products used in or on skin. The skin becomes accustomed gradually. You might face redness for couple of hours after treatment.
All in all microdermabrasion is a safe process having minimal side effects but it is always safe to consult your doctor or dermatologist.
List of Conditions treated by Microdermabrasion:
Microdermabrasion happens to be one of the best skin care treatment and it can:
- Reduce and remove age spots and black heads.
- Exfoliates skin for fresher appearance
- Reduces stretch marks
- Improves the dark skin patches (hyperpigmentation)
- Reduces wrinkles, fine lines and scars
- Eliminates enlarged pores
- Treats the acne problems and the scars left after acne.
- Improves dull or oily skin
Those who get microdermabrasion treatments for acne or other skin problems experience dramatic change in the texture, tone and color of the area right after treatment. It also treats the following skin issues:
- Uneven skin texture
- Congested skin
- Dry/oily skin
- Uneven skin tone
Microdermabrasion Side Effects:
The microdermabrasion side effects are limited and might include minor bruising, redness, tightness and sensitivity. Your skin could become sensitive and spots of bleeding may appear. The side effects could vary from person to person but the possibility of these side effects is not definite.
Home vs. Professional Microdermabrasion:
There are home kits available for microdermabrasion as well. Home microdermabrasion are affordable and convenient compared to professional microdermabrasion but might not be as effective. Professional microdermabrasion treatments bring to use state of the art equipment for microdermabrasion that polishes your skin. The machines emit a pressurized abrasive crystal steam on the areas to be treated.
Microdermabrasion treatments for acne not only removes acne marks but remove dead skin cells, fine lines to smoothen the tone and texture of your skin. The at-home microdermabrasion kits are designed to treat skin problems and are quite safe to use as well but their inferior technology fails to achieve the excellent result of a professional microdermabrasion procedure. The particles that are used to exfoliate are usually mixed with a cream that needs to be applied by hand and then rubbed in with the scrubbing tool. Microdermabrasion treatments improve the feel and look of your skin but isn’t powerful enough like the professional microdermabrasion treatments.
Pros and Cons of Microdermabrasion:
Listed below are pros and cons of microdermabrasion:
- Microdermabrasion is used for treating acne scars and eliminates wrinkles and fine lines that give a more radiant and youthful look.
- The time period required for these treatments is short taking less than an hour normally. It gives instant results that seem to improve over time. Especially if the treatment is being done on the face it takes only half an hour.
- Microdermabrasion can easily be done in a spa or a dermatologist’s office.
- The cost of microdermabrasion tends to be cheaper than other invasive approaches.
- The process of microdermabrasion is virtually painless. You will feel no pain in the microdermabrasion treatments for acne scars.
- Due to being a non-invasive skin treatment, the chances of any complications arising are slim. Problems can arise only then if the patient refuses to follow instructions.
- Microdermabrasion cannot treat the deep acne scars because microdermabrasion involves removal of top layer of skin whereas the deep scars of acne are deeper in the skin that cannot be covered by the procedure.
- A certain time period needs to be followed for optimal results. You should start the microdermabrasion treatment for the acne scars within three years of the scar formation. The treatments should not begin no later than 3 years of the scarring.
- Though the microdermabrasion is an effective method, age matters in its results and effectiveness. Age could reduce the effectiveness of the procedure. This is due to the fact that when we are young or babies even out skin is smooth because of the collagen presence.
- With age, the collagen production is reduced too. The process of microdermabrasion stimulates the collagen to fill in the pitted areas and as one ages, the ability lessens.